The development of one’s character is the most important goal of a Hwa Rang Do® practitioner. Therefore, within this art there are rules and principles that we follow to develop stronger character. These are found within the Hwa Rang Do® Meng Sae, which is composed of five rules that were the ancient Hwarang’s code of ethics, and nine principles of human morality.
HWARANG O KAE
(The five rules of the ancient Hwarang)
1. LOYALTY TO ONE`S COUNTRY.
2. LOYALTY TO ONE`S PARENTS AND TEACHERS.
3. TRUST AND BROTHERHOOD AMONG FRIENDS.
4. COURAGE NEVER TO RETREAT IN THE FACE OF THE ENEMY.
5. JUSTICE NEVER TO TAKE A LIFE WITHOUT A CAUSE.
HWA RANG DO® KYOHOON
(Nine human moralities)